From news source:
Asked by regional magistrate Fadzai Mthombeni why the State had decided to withdraw the charges, Kasema said:
“Considering the correspondence from the Attorney-General’s (AG) Office dated April 20 2012, the results from South Africa exonerated the accused from the case of aggravated indecent assault.”
However, Kasema told the court that the AG’s Office had instead decided to prefer soliciting charges against Netsai and Rosemary.
The two will be charged with contravening Section 81(2) of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act.
The two were remanded to May 10 and 16 respectively in different courts.
Netsai will be tried in Court 11 while Rosemary would stand trial in Court 5.
Kasema advised the court that Netsai and Rosemary would be served with necessary court papers to enable them to prepare their defence.
All the accused were accompanied by their lawyer Arnold Taruvinga.
Allegations were that the three women were suspected to be part of a syndicate of female “rapists” terrorising male hitchhikers along the country’s main highways and “raping” them at gunpoint.
They were arrested at an accident scene on October 8 last year when they had allegedly gone to the spot to collect their “valuable loot”.