Jury returns $41.6 million award to Jeffrey Deskovic for his wrongful conviction. Holy Cow!
- Man convicted in case for which Bennett Barbour of Virginia had originally been wrongfully convicted of rape
- Three months after murder charges against a Kentucky woman were dismissed by the state’s Court of Appeals, the state’s attorney ruled Tuesday that she won’t face a new trial. The Courier-Journal reported that Susan Jean King spent six years behind bars for a 1998 murder after pleading guilty, even though she didn’t commit the crime, because of pressure from a state police detective who told her she faced life in prison. She was released in 2012 before she had served out her sentence.
- Alaska AG denies claims of delay in Fairbanks Four wrongful conviction case
- Exoneree seeking compensation, and hedge funds, are common allies against GM
- Oklahoma touts new $71,000 death chamber
- Wrongful convictions help sway Justice Minister of Zimbabwe to say “No executions under my watch.”
- Connecticut exoneree Kenneth Ireland described “prison nightmare” to a commission that must decide whether he receives state compensation.
- Michael Alan Parker exonerated in North Carolina after 22 years in prison
- Georgia exoneree Clarence Harrison wants to give back
- Last week, man exonerated in China after spending six years on death row after being wrongfully convicted for killing two children