This from Ed Bartlett, Director of the Center for Prosecutor Integrity:
I’m pleased to report that we have now finalized the program for the 2015 Innocence Summit, to be held June 12-13 at the National Airport — Crowne Plaza in Arlington, Virginia. The Summit will feature an All-Star line-up of forward-thinking prosecutors, Innocence Network leaders, civil rights advocates, researchers, journalists, and others. These are some of the highlights:
- On June 12, the Summit will lead off with a panel of four prosecutors who have challenged conventional wisdom and forged new models of prosecutorial practice.
- The Friday evening banquet speaker will be former United States Attorney Joseph diGenova, a man who never hesitates to speak his mind!
On Saturday, I’m personally looking forward to Mara Leveritt’s presentation, “Death Threats and More: A Reporter Shares True-Life Experiences Investigating Criminal Justice Abuses.”
And I haven’t said anything about the impressive range of workshops…and networking opportunities….and more.
Check it out: http://www.prosecutorintegrity.org/summit/ Looking forward to seeing you June 12-13!
See the Summit schedule here.
LA Weekly has just published an article titled ‘Is Shaken Baby Syndrome the New Satanic Panic?‘ The article highlights many frightening parallels between today’s SBS prosecutions and those of so-called satanic ritual child abusers in the 1980’s.
The article also features information from the recent documentary film by Susan Goldsmith ‘The Syndrome.’
Having closely followed the satanic ritual abuse panic of the 80’s, I found reading this story to be downright creepy. If you follow the SBS situation at all, this is a must read.
See the LA Weekly story here.
See our previous post on the Hannah Overton case here.
Hannah Overton was convicted for murdering her 4-year-old stepson by salt poisoning. Given the evidence that the prosecutor had early on, and did not disclose to the defense, Overton never should have been charged in the first place. This was a “crime” that never happened.
See the KRIS TV (Corpus Christi, TX) story here.
Thanks to Camille Tilley for passing this story along.
Here is a 25 minute interview with Debra Milke’s attorney.
It is fascinating and riveting.
And keep in mind, while you watch this, that our justice system did this.
See our previous post on the Milke case here.
And thank you to Camille Tilley for posting this in the comments. I felt it deserved ‘headline’ status.
- A former Death Row inmate who was wrongfully convicted of a double murder after a Chicago cop withheld or fabricated evidence against him, then was left fuming when a federal jury awarded him just $80,000 in damages, is getting another chance to win the $18 million he says he deserves. Former El Rukn gang member Nathson Fields was last year denied a fair trial of his lawsuit against the City of Chicago, U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly ruled late Monday.Authorities hid a “bonanza” deal that allowed a key witness for the city to get out of prison early after he testified against Fields last year, Kennelly ruled in ordering a new trial. Keep reading….
- Exonerees are failed twice by the criminal justice system
- Ohio wrongfully convicted Danny Brown, then it really screwed him
- Virginia prosecutor: Innocence man faces life behind bars unless Governor pardons him
Mara Leveritt is an Arkansas journalist and author with whom you may already be familiar. She wrote the book Devil’s Knot that chronicles the story of the West Memphis Three, and which was subsequently made into a critically acclaimed movie.
She has recently written an article for the Daily Beast outlining her personal attempts to get the Arkansas Supreme Court to take some kind of action against a prosecutor who convicted, and sentenced to death, an innocent person by withholding evidence from the defense. Her efforts have so far been in vain.
See Mara Leveritt’s article here.