UK Condemns Belarus Execution of Inmate Who May Be Innocent…

From CNN: A senior British lawmaker on Sunday condemned the execution in Belarus of one of two men convicted of a fatal subway bombing last year.

Minister for Europe David Lidington said independent reports had raised “serious and credible concerns” over the standard of evidence and fairness of the trial that led to the conviction of the men, Dmitry Konovalov and Vladislav Kovalev.

“The UK opposes the death penalty in all circumstances as a matter of principle and any miscarriage of justice leading to the death penalty is of course irreversible and irreparable,” Lidington said, urging Belarus to halt all executions and work toward abolishing the death penalty.

The men were sentenced to death for the April 2011 bombing that killed 15 people and wounded more than 200 at a subway station in Minsk.

Full story here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s